Sunday, August 23, 2009

10-12 to 10-16-2008 Mackenzie's Story


The next morning I got my ultrasound. We were surprised by what we saw. Abby and Pat were just fine. But our dear sweet baby A Mackenzie's bag of waters had ruptured and resealed. The Dr. C (on call OB) said as long as she had fluid she would have a chance. Her fluid levels were looking good but the bigger problem was that she was halfway through my cervix. Dr. S (my Perinatologist) suggested delivery of all three triplets. Dr. M (my OB) suggested waiting a week to watch for infection and then trying to push her back up into my uterus and putting in a cerclage. We decided to wait and revisit the cerclage idea. So I spent the 12Th and 13Th on my head while being pumped full of drugs. Indocin for contractions, Protonix for acid reflux, and three IV antibiotics to fight off any infections. By the 14Th the Dr's. seemed hopeful I wasn't showing any sings of infection. But we got quite a surprise when I had my ultrasound. Mackenzie had completely passed my cervix and was sitting in my vagina. My cervix had actually closed up only open enough for Kenzie's cord. It was so strange seeing her on the ultrasound. I panicked thinking that I would be forced to deliver her. The Dr's. said they wouldn't take her until 24 weeks as long as she still had fluid. I was so afraid that I would make one wrong move and she would come. I tried so hard not to sneeze never let myself cough. My dear Aunt K asked me what it felt like to have her there. The only way I knew to describe it was like having a very large tampon that was kicking you. I never in a million years though I would know the sensation of being kicked on both sides of my cervix by two different babies. After Mackenzie left my uterus Patrick our baby C flipped into baby B's spot pushing Abby up to the top. Abby really seemed to enjoy the extra room I was getting daily ultrasounds at that point. She would flip and roll like crazy. One ultrasound she would be breech then the next she would be transverse. They could never find her with the monitor she was always trying to get away. I was doing my best to be positive. My family and friends were amazing everyone pulled together to help Shawn with Riley. I missed her so much, she could only handle so much time at the hospital before boredom set in. By the morning of the 16TH my Dr's were sounding down right cheerful. They gave us three options all with possible benefits and drawbacks. 1. to deliver Kenzie and place a cerclage in the hopes of saving Pat and Abby. 2. Push Kenzie back up and put in a cerclage. 3. Do nothing. We vetoed option 1 immediately. That really pissed of Dr. S ( we really don't like him). Shawn and I began to pray. We had no idea what would be the right answer. After hours of prayer I told God I couldn't choose that I needed an answer. That's when Kenzie's water broke for the second time. God gave me my answer. We called our families. Shawn's brother R actually asked Shawn if we were excited, He didn't have a clue what was really happening poor Shawn screamed at him "She's going to die and I'm supposed to be excited".

Dr. C was the first to respond. He said we no longer had a choice. I wasn't having any contractions. So Dr. M said he would need to extract her because they didn't want me to go into labor. This is what I remember. Dr. M and Dr. C seemed to have a hard time deciding who would do it. I don't think it was something either one wanted to do. It was agreed that Dr. M would do it, but I love Dr. C for staying. As Dr. M started he told me that she might be injured when he pulled her out. That she might lose an arm or leg. I lost it I began to scream it was bad enough that she was going to die. I needed her to be whole. I was screaming "OW OW OW". But it didn't hurt that bad I was so scared I didn't know what else to do. Shawn was holding one leg my Mom the other. She asked me if I was okay. I remember telling her I was just scared. The moment she was out Dr. M put her on my stomach. I cried out "Oh my baby". At that moment I made eye contact with Dr. C he was crying. After that all my attention was on Mackenzie. She was whole and perfect so beautiful and tiny. As I picked her up she grabbed on to my finger. I don't know how long she lived. But Shawn my Mother and I were all able to hold, kiss, and love her.












3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you lost your Mackenzie, too! I find it interesting that Dr. C was crying. My doctor didn't really seem affected by my loss. How beautiful that Mackenzie grabbed your finger <3
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in tears reading your story. I couldn't read it fast enough to find out if she made it through and was whole. I am so glad she did. I wish she could have been saved, I am so sorry your sweet babies are not here with you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dr (a woman) who delivered my first twin so similarly to what you've described, at 19 wks also cried. As did every nurse in the room... We were also glad she was in one piece, (I wasn't told that at that gestational age, the little babies aren't always until AFTER she was delivered, thank God! I can't believe they did that to you!) her heart had stopped prior to delivery, and I didnt get to see or hold her. Im glad for you that you had that moment with your Mackenzie to remember.

    ReplyDelete